For many years, people have decided to move out to the country to escape the dangers of living in a big city; but research has now shown that driving in rural areas is not as safe for children riding in cars. Go Safe Labs has released a new national traffic study which concluded that children are more likely to be involved in a car accident in rural areas versus urban areas. The study also revealed the top ten least safe states for car accidents involving children, which included Texas.
By using publicly available data from government resources, Go Safe Labs was able to look at over 300,000 fatal car accidents and found that the top 10 states with the highest numbers of child injuries or fatalities were Texas, California, Florida, Indiana, North Carolina, Alabama, Illinois, Arizona, and Ohio. The data also showed that more children were injured or killed in rural car accidents (57%) when compared to urban car accidents (43%). Rural car accidents involving children also had more severe injuries across the nation when compared to urban accidents. Sadly, nearly two-thirds of children involved in a car accident in a rural area were severely injured.
This data should remind parents to always take appropriate precautions and use properly fitted car seats for their children each and every time they put their children in the car. Families in rural areas have decreased access to in-person child seat safety checks. While virtual child seat checks are becoming more available during COVID-19, parents must take the initiative to get their car seats properly checked for safety before using them.
Causes of Texas Rural Car Accidents
According to the Texas Department of Transportation, the top causes of car accidents in rural areas include:
- Driver Inattention
- Failure to Control Speed
- Failed to Drive in a Single Lane
- Driving Under the Influence
- An Animal On the Road
Keeping Children in Cars Safe in Rural Areas
Keeping children safe while driving is a priority for all parents. To ensure that every child is safe in both rural and urban areas, parents should do the following:
- Make sure to have an age and size appropriate car seat for each child in the car.
- Have each car seat checked for appropriate installation and fit for each child.
- Buckle each child into their car seat every time they are in the car, even if the ride is very short.
- Drive without distractions. Staying focused on the road will make it easier to react to any sudden changes that could cause a collision.
- Drive the speed limit – even on an empty, country road. Many rural car accidents happen at high speeds, which means the crash damage can be much more severe.
- Never drive while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Watch out for animals when on the road. Wild animals are commonly seen in rural areas and a deer or raccoon running across the road can easily cause a car accident when driving with your children.
South Texas Car Accident Lawyers
Being in an accident with your child in the car can be very scary and stressful, but you don’t have to handle it all on your own. By selecting quality legal representation, the injured won’t have to worry as much about their next steps because they will have the guidance and support of an experienced personal injury attorney. If you or a loved one has been injured or killed in a car accident, contact the Weslaco car accident lawyers at Ezequiel Reyna, Jr. Law Office today to discuss your case. There is limited time to act following a car accident in Texas, so don’t delay.