As people venture out these days, the options for staying safe while enjoying drinks with family and friends are ever-increasing. Ridesharing services like Uber and Lyft have made it easier for families to require fewer vehicles, use less gas, get around more easily while traveling, and jaunt about town safely while enjoying an alcoholic beverage; however, the introduction of these services has come with its own set of issues. Car accidents with Uber and Lyft have become common and can occur due to a variety of causes. Not all motor vehicle collision attorneys are experienced in handling rideshare injury cases, but the Ezequiel Reyna, Jr. Law Office has a team of successful lawyers ready to hear about your situation and give you the best free legal advice.
Uber and Lyft Dangers
Thousands of Texans rely on ridesharing companies for everyday transportation – for everything from a ride to the airport, to a designated driver for date night. A few things unsuspecting riders may not know are that the screening process and qualification process for becoming an Uber driver or Lyft driver are not very thorough or rigorous. This has led to sexual assaults and car accidents resulting in serious injuries and even death.
There were over 3,045 sexual assaults reported in one year for Uber, which means even more occurred as these injuries are less often reported. There were also 58 crash-related deaths in ridesharing accidents in the U.S. in 2019. Ridesharing itself has increased motor vehicle accident fatalities by 3% overall across the country.
Rideshare Accident Liability
Rideshare accident victims’ legal cases are more complex than a regular car accident for many reasons, one of which is that victims often have to deal with multiple insurance companies. Carriers and adjusters may argue over who was at fault, the severity of your injuries, which insurance policy will cover the incident, and how much coverage to afford. The best way to tackle these complications is to get help from an attorney, especially while you recover from your injuries under a doctor’s care.
While the driver themselves can be held accountable for the damages you suffer, the rideshare company may also be held liable for the driver’s actions. The timing of when a car accident with Uber or Lyft occurs affects how much potential insurance is available. Under Uber’s insurance policy, if a driver is online (listed as an available driver) with the rideshare service but has not yet matched with a passenger (accepted a ride), they are covered under the company’s liability policy – but only part of it. Uber insurance covers the car accidents caused by “waiting” drivers up to:
- $50,000 per person
- $100,000 total in bodily injury coverage per accident
- $25,000 total property damage coverage per accident
When a rideshare driver matches with a passenger and then gets into a car wreck while on the way to pick up that passenger or while driving that passenger, Uber’s insurance policy kicks-in in full and provides at least $1 million worth of coverage per accident.
Rideshare Safety Tips
When considering a ride with an Uber or Lyft driver, be sure to observe the following safety tips to ensure you have the best possible experience:
- Always check your driver’s rating before accepting a ride
- Verify your driver’s identity before entering their vehicle by ensuring their license plate, photo, and name match what is shown in your app
- Make sure the driver verbally confirms your name as the passenger they are supposed to pick up
- Wear your seat belt
- Report unsafe driving behaviors on the ridesharing app and/or the driver’s license plate and location to the police if you are concerned
- If you are riding alone, ride in the backseat
- Always remain aware of your surroundings and travel route – you can even track your route to your destination by programming the address into Waze or Google Maps to follow along
- Click “Share Status” in the app while you are on your rideshare and this will share your location and the driver’s information with the person of your choice – tell your driver you are sharing this information as it can serve as a deterrent to potential criminal activity
Lawyers for Weslaco Car Accidents with Uber and Lyft
If you’ve been injured after an accident involving an Uber or Lyft, we understand how complex things are for you – both with regard to your legal claims and with regard to your medical recovery. Our experienced trial lawyers will work on your behalf to help you recover the damages you deserve. Schedule a free case consultation and evaluation with an attorney today by calling 956-968-9556. You pay nothing upfront. We recover financial damages for you on a contingency fee basis only, so if we are not able to obtain a recovery, you owe us nothing.